OSPF is by far the most popular and important protocol in use today.
Most important features of OSPF:
- Its open source !
- Very fast convergence time, ( a tad close to even EIGRP )
- Link-state routing protocol
- Supports multiple, equal cost routes to the same destination
- Supports both IPv4 and IPv6
- Uses Dijkstra’s algorithm to find the shortest path tree and follows that by populating the routing table with resulting best path.
- Allows creation of areas and autonomous system
- Minimizes routing update traffic
- Supports VLSM/CIDR
- Unlimited hop count (unlike RIP)
- Supports Multi-vendor deployment.